Monday, August 17, 2009

Hi everyone. I thought you all might like to see some photos of the work I do out here.  We have 6 launches, though a sonar fell off of one yesterday. Not good! Everyday most of them go out and survey the seafloor. With launches we can get in shallower water than with the Rainier.  This is one being lowered.  I have to learn the lines, how to drive the launches, all kinds of stuff.  I drove yesterday for a bit.  We have lots of safety training and drills frequently.  But the main goal for me right now is learning to survey.  Getting a good return signal from the bottom takes some manipulation.  I will load more photos of Homer and boat life soon, but they really take a LONG time on the ol' ethernet.  Life is pretty good, we have time off the 28th and 29th-I am so excited.  We are now surveying in Kachemak Bay outside of Homer but are at anchor.  So at least I can see land, which is nice.  Hope you enjoy the photos, I would love to hear from you!  Lots of love-Lauren 

Here (above) is a launch being lowered from its cradle.

No comments:

Post a Comment