Tuesday, August 11, 2009

First Days

Hello friends

Well, the first few days have felt like a few weeks.  The first day felt like five days.  But then on Sunday your mother came so that was just like a normal day.  Sorry-inside joke for the fam that you too can enjoy if you watch Steve Martin's The Jerk. 

But really, this trip has been crazy so far.  I travelled all day Saturday and our plane took off from Chicago 6 hours late but I still made it to Kodiak that night and stayed up to learn a little about the ship, though I felt delirious.  On Sunday a guy named Tony and I went hiking on Barometer. We had some trouble finding the trailhead and found some locals who led the way and we ended up hiking with them then entire time.  It was incredible; straight up from sea level to 2500+ ft. Once at the top we had a 360 view that the pictures just don't represent accurately, to be expected though. Never the less, I will post some for you all to enjoy. 

Yesterday I had to hang on the ship for a work day and we took off around 8pm, steamed all night and arrived in Homer this morning. 5 boats launched to do work today but I am on what is called night processing, so I will be starting work around 1pm.  Until then I have a few more logistical things to take care of and will perhaps hit the 'gym' for the first time.  I am so incredibly sore from the hike that I will see how I do.  This will be a rough post for a while but hope when I have a bit more time and am settled in I can post some maps and more interesting things. 

I love you all very much, and miss you tons. Please keep me posted on life-I love getting emails. 

Love, L

4 comments:

  1. Lauren, I love you blog but miss you more. I can't wait to hear more about everything. Looking forward to pictures.

    xoxo
    mer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren - this is great. Nice picture. Living here is really lame without you.

    Love,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Homer...there is a street called Poopdeck Drive...also some good hippiefied coffee shops if you ever hit land there (although not nearly as hippified as the one we went to in Black Mtn!)...and the Homer spit...we camped there in the rain for 3 days. Good pizza along the spit too, and a cool art gallery up on the hill with this felted cowboy hat I really wanted to buy...sniff sniff...hope you get to make it to Sitka in the SE. Love ya, Brandy PS...Jack's Iams bag is out!

    ReplyDelete