Monday, March 15, 2010

Me at Work

Me by the CTD (conductivity, temperature, and depth). We usually send it down to about 500m. It collects data on the way down and up about the water column (such as dissolved O2, Temperature, Salinity, pH, Fluorescence). Also, I can choose when to 'fire' the bottles you see, and collect water samples at certain depths, and then prep them to be processed for nutrient and chlorophyll information once back in Honolulu. Getting this thing in and out of the water from/to the deck can be a challenge-especially in heavy seas-and I work with awesome guys from the deck dept. to make it happen. I am still learning good technique! Sometimes it goes perfectly and sometimes, ah well, not so smooth. Oh-and that contraption I am wearing is a harness so I don't fall in during deployment/recovery. I am hooked into the deck. I feel like one of those kids on leash at the boardwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment